Helsinki is a cool place – but if you are new in town and still working on your Finnish it maybe hard to know where to go.
Visiting Helsinki and wondering what to do? A quick way to spot a few tings is to check out our “Business travellers guide to getting the most out of your trip to Helsinki“.
Our guide lists nice restaurants, public saunas and terrace bars to visit. In addition you may benefit from this brief summary of whats happening on specific days in the city. You can expect for some of these events to be hoplessly sold out (think helsinkis home team HJK in the Europa League and please do your own due diligence when it omes to the exact time the event is scheduled to start.
We hope this list helps – and naturally we are open every night with the best strip tease in Helsinki from 21.00 – 05.00 , with he best international talent on stage…
In recent years there have been many historic moments in Finish football.
The national team “Huuhkajat” (the Owls or scoundrels) recently qualified for the Euros, where had it not been for an offsides call (by the smallest of margins we should note) would have continued on to the paly off stages. It was not to be, but other teams know to take the finns seriously. In the UK you will have a hard time finding a person who hasnt heard about the finnish striker Teemu Pukki.
This type of success has bread a lot of excitement and this can be felt in the stands. If you are visiting Helsinki in September or October, you are well positioned to witness the Finns deliver upsets to their visiting internatinal teams thanks to the moderate climate we enjoy here.
If you do not believe us, just ask the FC Torino fans how much fun it was to travel to Helsinki in October of 2014. Luckily no one froze to death (apart from the team maybe, as they went home with a stinging 2-1 loss..).
So if you are into football there are some exciting games ahead that will be fun to watch live or even in a local bar down town.
HJK Helsini home page – https://www.hjk.fi/
- 23.9.2022 starting at 21.45 Finnish national team vs Romania , Nations League at the Olympic Stadium
- 24.9.2022 at 17.00 HJK – PK-35 VANTAA (Women’s league) at the Bolt Arena
- 2.10.2022 klo 18.30 HJK – Inter (Men’s top division play off) at the Bolt Arena
- 6.10.2022 klo 19.45: HJK – Ludogorets (UEFA Europa League) at the Bolt Arena
- 16.10.2022 klo 17.00 HJK – Kups (Men’s top division play off) at the Bolt Arena
- 27.10.2022 klo 22.00 HJK – Roma (UEFA Europa League) at the Bolt Arena
It maybe that Ice-Hockey was invented in Canda, but it sure seems that wining ice-hockey was invented in Finland. Thats how succesfull the Finnish national team has been in the last decac or so, from the juniors all the way to the mens. If you have 30 minutes you can read about their achievements your self…
There are normally 2 teams in Helsinki, both are among the biggest and most succesfull in Finland. But we live in unusual times and right now one of the 2 does not have a league to play in. Thats in part thanks t Whats happenin in the Ukraine but to be fair the owners and the forces behind the team should be taking a hard look in the mirror for this fiasco.
But luckily HIFK, the red machine,a very succesfull ice hockey team with plenty of tradition (and its fair to say the organisation with the most history and most probably fans across all of sports in Finland) is going strong and have several home games played at the old Helsinki Jäähalli. HIFK have always had a reputation of playing hard to the tune of rock and roll and they try their hardest when at home, which offers a great opportunity to have a hgood time and see the stars of the future today.
Hifk Ice Hockey home page https://hifk.fi/
All games are played at the old Helsinki ice rink (Helsingin jäähalli)
- 24.9.2022 at 17.00 HIFK – KooKoo
- 28.9.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Sport
- 1.10.2022 at 17.00 HIFK – TPS
- 7.10.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Kärpät
- 12.10.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Ässät
- 26.10.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Kalpa
- 28.10.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Ilves
- 1.11.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – JYP
- 16.11.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Lukko
- 25.11.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Kärpät
- 30.11.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Pelicans
- 2.12.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Tappara
- 10.12.2022 at 17.00 HIFK – Saipa
- 13.12.2022 at18.30 HIFK – Lukko
- 20.12.2022 at 18.30 HIFK – Jukurit
As of recent, it seems like the finnish teams have bee succefully raising their level of play across the board. Where in Ice hokecy the Finnish Lions have managed to set them selves at the very top since a few years now, basketball and the “Susijengi“, (Wolfpack), the mens national team just recently gave the Spanish (Who are nothing less than the current World and Eropean champions) something they surely werent expecting.
While the wolfpack had been performing for years, the quarterfinal spot in the Eurobasket 2022 and their performance in that game play caught even the most die hard Finnish fans by surprise.
So that means that means that the national basketball league defintely has an electric vibe to it. The home team is called the Seagulls and they play their home games at the “Kisahalli”, just a few minutes from the city center.
The Helsinki Seagulss homepage – https://www.helsinkiseagulls.com/en/home/
- 30.9.2022 at 18.30 Helsinki Seagulls vs. Korihait
- 7.10.2022 at 18.30 Helsinki Seagulls vs Karhu Basket
- 18.10.2022 at 18.30 Helsinki Seagulls vs Kobrat
- 1.11.2022 at 18.30 Helsinki Seagulls vs Tapiolan Honka
- 18.11.2022 at 18.30 Helsinki Seagulls vs KTP-Basket
- 29.11.2022 at 18.30 Helsinki Seagulls vs BC Nokia
- 13.12.2022 at 18.30 Helsinki Seagulls vs Pyrintö
- 28.12.2022 at 18.30 Helsinki Seagulls vs Kataja Basket
Finland has been famous for a few things. Cold weather, high taxes, a combo of darkness and suicides. More recently even a battle of chickens vs pigs and a mighty clash of clans. The last items of course are related to gaming and the fact that there is quite a striving start up scene in Finland. the 2 biggest events in the field of business that are upcomng are listed below.
- 20.9.2022 Nordic Business Forum
- 21.9.2022 Nordic Business Forum
- 17.11.2022 Slush
- 18.11.2022 Slush
Other things you may want to check out include this diverse list of even and happenings. Please check the links for more details.
- 15.9 – 25.9.2022 Rakkautta ja anarkiaa – Love and Anarchy Film festival
- 1.10 – 31.10.2022 Stadin Silakkamarkkinat – Helsiki herring market – one of the oldest public events in Finland. Centrally located, easy to attend. Buy food directy from cool boats or just enjoy the sights and atmosphere.
- 22.9.2022 Sting plays at the Helsinki ice rink.
- Sting, better perhaps know as Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner, and if that doesnt ring a bell, he is popular music performer who has won multiple grammys and is an expert in trantric sex.
- 23.9.2022 The Hanoi Rocks will be performing in its original lineup
- If you are into music you may very well know these guys. Their music has influenced many other artists and no to celebrate the lead singers 60th birthday the band will be performing in its original line up. These guys have seen it all.
- 28.10 & 29.10.2022 Crystal Show Club will hosts its annual Halloween party
- More details will be shared later. Tell the family its an imortant business trip or what ever you need. These are nights you dont want to miss.
- Late November and early December are “pikkujoulu” season.
- Its the office christmas party season and the night life is more active than usual, and to underline the point lets just say that statistically, in Finland most babies are born in August.
- 3.12.2022 at 19.00 The Count Basie Orchestra – originally founded in 1935 meaning this ensemble officially older than the Hanoi Rocks, and perhaps even more famous depending on which decade you happened yto have been born. Just like Hanoi Rocks, talented professional musicians and this is a rare chance to see them live
- 6.12.2022 Itsenäisyys päivä – The finnish independence day.
- Obviously a big day. The finns had to fight hard to remain independent. Real hard, but luckily motivated men like the world famous sniper Simo Häyhä (often named as the single best sniper to have ever lived) invented the Molotov Cocktail and prevailed. And we all know something very similar is going on in Ukraine at this very moment. In a world where the remaining battery charge on your mobile phone seems like a problem, at least on independece day every Finn remebers that there could be bigger problems we might have to worry about.
- 24.12.2022 Christmas Eve
- 25.12.2022 Christmas Day
Images used according to creative commons and fair use , originally sourced from Wikipedia and Flicker